Sanskrit name: Visuddha
Petals of the lotus: Sixteen
Rights: To speak
Physical association: Throat, ears, mouth, shoulders, and neck
Psychological function: Communication
Identity: Creative identity
Plane: Human plane
The Throat Chakra is the fifth chakra and it is the first of the higher or spiritual chakras on the “chakra ladder”. Located at the center of the neck at the level of the throat, it is the passage of the energy between the lower parts of the body and the head. “Visuddha”, which means “pure” or “purification”, is related to the element of sound. Through the throat, sound is propagated into the air and its vibration can be felt not just in our ears, but also in our whole body. That’s why the function of the Throat Chakra is driven by the principle of expression and communication.
The Throat chakra is most commonly represented with the color blue turquoise or aquamarine blue. And its symbol is composed of a circle with sixteen petals, a crescent with a circle inside of it and, sometimes, it is symbolized by a circle containing a downward-pointing triangle in which is inscribed another circle. The most commonly accepted location for the fifth chakra is at the level of the throat. It’s important to remember that this chakra is multidimensional and is often represented as going out of the front of the throat, and going in the back at a slight upward angle.
As a communication center, it not only allows you to express who you are and what you stand for, but also allows you to listen deeply to another. Infact, the gift of this chakra is accepting your originality, expressing your authentic voice and speaking your truth. The energy of this chakra allows you to seek knowledge that is true, beyond limitations of time and space, beyond cultural and family conditioning. A person with an open Visuddha Chakra is a good listener, enables another person to have the experience of being heard, one of the most profound human needs. He/she has also good sense of timing and the propensity to create and projecting ideas, realizing his/her vocation and purpose in life.
The main challenge for the fifth chakra is doubt and negative thinking. A Throat Chakra blockage can also manifest as the inability to express and realize your truth in the world, which can significantly impact your ability to achieve your goals and being able to communicate effectively with others for fear of ridicule and judgement. Lack of control over one’s speech, speaking too much or inappropriately, not being able to listen to others, imperceptible voice, not being able to keep secrets and telling lies are just some of the manifestation of problems related to Visuddha.
But how can you open and rebalance it again?
- Be blue. Using chakra colors to support or stimulate the fifth chakra opens up a whole array of possibilities. For example, incorporating the color blue into your decor at home and work is a nice, subtle way to bring focus to the throat chakra. The calming effect of this color of wisdom and honesty can help open up and heal a blocked fifth chakra. Wearing precious or semi-precious blue stones is a great boost for chakra healing and balance. Meditating on the color blue also helps alleviate throat chakra imbalance.
- Yoga for the Throat Chakra primarily focuses on simple neck movements, such as moving you head from side to side, can help ease tension that can block it.
- Sing and drink water. These are great Throat Chakra cleanser.
- Clear the air. At-home aromatherapy can help dispel negativity and restore balance to the chakras. Consider introducing one or a combination of these scents to heal and activate your fifth energy center: jasmine, rosemary, sandalwood, calendula.
- Write it down. Learning how to express yourself without censoring or editing can be valuable. Practice mindful self-expression by journaling. Get it all out on paper and let it sit, then revisit what you have written at a later time.
- Talk it out. Talk openly with close friends and family. Make it a point to be open and honest with all you say. Simply speaking in a heartfelt way can work wonders to strengthen and balance the throat chakra. Speak the truth with love.
- Let it be. Letting go is difficult. Holding on to things over which you have no control can lead to resentment, guilt, and anger — all of which contribute to an imbalance of the throat chakra.
- Work on these believes you may have consciously or subconsciously in order to figure out where they come from and solve them:
Throat Chakra Affirmations
I am open, clear and honest in my communication.
I have a right to speak my truth.
I communicate my feelings with ease.
I express myself creatively through speech, writing or art.
I have a strong will that lets me resolve my challenges.
I nourish my spirit through creativity.
I live an authentic life. I have integrity.
I love to share my experience and wisdom. I know when it is time to listen.
I express my gratitude towards life.
I listen to my body and my feelings to know what my truth is.
I take good care of my physical body.
I am at peace.