“Every single part of the human body is connected through the nerves through feet, hands and ears“. This is what the ancient healing technique of reflexology believes.
According to this principle, the different organs in the body have nerve endings that culminate in the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet. These nerve endings and their associated organs have been identified by reflexologists and divided into various zones or pressure points. Any disfunction or blockage in the organs causes pain in the associated pressure point and when this one is stimulated, the blockage is removed and the organ returns to its proper function.
If you would like to compare, the prime difference between the hand reflexology and foot reflexology is that the first one uses the key points in the hands, instead of the feet, for stimulating the nerve to relieve tension, stress and imbalances of various connected parts/organs. Hands are also more flexible and the reflexes are much deeper beneath the skin as compared to the feet where the reflexes lie close to the skin surface. This means that one needs to reach deeper and hold for a longer time period in hand reflexology to stimulate a point in the hand as compared to the feet reflexology, where the effect in much efficient and quick.
Nowadays our hands are perhaps the most active parts of the human body, as most of our daily activities involve the use of the hands in a more sedentary lifestyle. It is no wonder that most people’s hands and bodies are in such agony! Hand reflexology is actually a natural form of alternative massage therapy that targets the key body zones of your body right from the palm of your hands. There are people who get instant relief from various conditions by doing this and even more who get gradual benefits only by doing it daily.
Studies conducted to measure the efficacy of this olistic massage have shown that it is beneficial for the whole body circulation and heart and produces the same positive effects on the brain as meditation. Plus, reflexology can help you to beat stress. It is also used to treat diseases and conditions such as constipation, headaches (migraine or sinus induced), and asthma.
Hand reflexology is a popular and easy self-massage technique. A simple massage takes only about ten minutes and it does not require any special oil or lotion, unless you want it, but only thumb, finger, and hand massage movements. One should be familiar with a hand chart, which is a graphic display of how each part of the body is represented in both hands. Using this chart as a guide, you can focus the massage on specific problem areas.
By following a series of simple steps, an easy hand reflexology self-treatment can be performed. You should follow these steps first on the right hand, followed by the left.
- Sit in a comfortable chair in a quiet room, use relaxing music, pillows, incense or candles as you wish. Enter a state of relaxation using a bit of your favorite oil hands, if you like.
- Rub the cream on your hands for several minutes until completely absorbed. This will relax your hands and increase flexibility in preparation for applying reflexology. Be sure not to use a cream or oil greasy your hands are not slippery.
- Close your eyes and focus on any area of your body where you feel an uncomfortable pain. Sometimes you just feel as if some part of your body feel misaligned.
- Consult a hand reflexology map to identify the points of reflection in your hands that correspond to the parts of your body you want to work.
- Firmly press the reflex point you need to stimulate. You can gradually increase the pressure to make sure you’re “activating” the reflex, but loose a little if you feel some pain.
- Hold the pressure for 30 seconds and release. Wait a few seconds and repeat. You can press either 30 seconds or you can press and release the point of a pulsed for 30 seconds.
- Use your thumb to apply light pressure technique pressure if you are uncomfortable. To do this, use a circular motion over the same point of reflection for about 5 seconds, then rotates in a circular in the opposite direction for 5 seconds. Repeated several times for each point of reflection.
- Reflexology applies to all areas in both hands, but lend him more attention on problem areas.
- When you’ve finished your reflexology session sit quietly for at least 10 minutes. If possible, lie down and rest well for half an hour.
- Drink several glasses of water after applying reflexology. Water will help to drain the toxins released from your organs and muscles during the session.