Herbal sleep pillows are a wonderful way to incorporate herbs into our lives. They can help in case of headaches, insomnia, restlessness, and much more, just by releasing in the air the fragrance you need while you are sleeping. They are very simple to make, follow these quick steps in order to create your own personalized herbal pillow!
- First select a piece of fabric, preferably cotton or another natural fiber (this is the perfect opportunity to use leftovers). Wash and dry the fabric, and cut it into two pieces, whatever shape you wish. Each piece should be the same size as your finished pillow plus half an inch seam allowance. A six-inch square is good, but you can make it any size you choose.
- Place the right sides of the fabric pillow facing each other. Sew them together along three sides, leaving the fourth open for stuffing. Turn the sewn fabric the right side out and press with an iron.
- Now you are ready to fill the pillow with your herbal blend! But…which one choose? Obviously it depends on the type of pillow you need. At the end of the article you will find a nice list of herbs you should use considering the effect you want to obtain.
- Finish the pillow by sewing the open area shut. For a sewing-free option, use cotton muslin bags or scraps of fabric tied tight with twine or yarn. Leave your pillow in an air-proof bag for at least a day before you use it. This allows the scent to strengthen and enhances its therapeutic effects.
- At bedtime or nap-time, tuck your herbal pillow inside your regular pillowcase, or just lay it beside you.
- Cotton balls added to the herbal blend can help make your pillow more comfortable and soft.
- A fixative or few drops of an essential oil will help your dried herbs retain their fragrance much longer. Fixatives may include: musk, ambergris and cive.
- Do not sleep with your herbal pillow every night. Allow your body and mind to take their time and not get used to the fragrance very quickly.
Sleep pillows are great for all ages and for those who have a difficult time falling asleep. For a pillow that encourages deep sleep, blend any of the following organic herbs: catnip, chamomile, hops, lavender, lemon balm, rose petals, rosemary, mint and sweet marjoram.
Dream pillows are for those who want to enhance their dreaming or wish to remember their dreams. To create a blend that encourages dreaming, use any of the following organic herbs: balsam needles, lemon verbena, mugwort, peppermint, cloves (only 2-4 per pillow) and rose petals.
Anti headache pillows are for those who want to realease their mind from the overthinking and stressfull lives we are living nowadays. To create your natural pain relief pillow add the following herbs: eucalyptus, lavender, peppermint or spearmint, cedar tips, sage leaf, cinnamon and lemon grass.